Sunday, April 17, 2011

TOSTITOS WITH A HINT OF LIME

For years now, one of my kitchen cabinet mainstays has been Tostitos with a Hint of Lime. I love them. I will open the bag wide and survey the interiors for the most lime-bespeckled of chips. I then dig the best ones out and eat them. Later, when there are only a few chips remaining, I'll crush the chips up into a fine dust and empty the bag into my mouth. Anything to capture the zesty limey seasoning. Which leads me to question why Tostitos has yet to come out with a "Tostitos: Blast of Lime!" We can handle it, Tostitos. Bring it on.

Anyway, the conservative amount of flavor specks isn't really the issue. Lately, to me at least, the chips taste different. They taste, for lack of a better word, HEALTHY. The "new" bag (there's a "hint" that things aren't right) says White Corn, but they have an aftertaste of something multigrain-ish. No? Am I alone in this? "Made with Whole Grain" touts the bag, but there's definitely something else going on here.


I simply don't have time to contact the FritoLay people to inquire, but I'm certain I'm right. After eating the same chips for years, you can tell when the tortilla is being pulled over your eyes. I'm not "mad" about being tricked into eating healthier chips, but couldn't FritoLay balance it out a little better? They could certainly add more seasoning to make up for the flavor change in the actual chip.

I understand this is not a huge deal. I also understand that you may be furious that you just read a blog entry about my conspiracy theory involving a snack food.
 Please don't worry about me. Lord knows I'll still be able to down a whole bag in my kitchen before I'm even done putting the rest of the groceries away. 

2 comments:

  1. Flavored chips are NON-SENSE. You eat corn chips to delight in the crisp nutty goodness of what our Indian brothers and sisters called, maize. A chip is not a delivery system for synthetic "Lime-like" flavors nor is it a delivery system for "cheese-like" powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...you can tell when the tortilla is being pulled over your eyes." :))))

    ReplyDelete