Thursday, April 14, 2011

BRUNCH IS FOR EATING

I was grabbing brunch with my beloved Honeybee on Smith Street recently, and we were seated right next to two truly horrible gals. Both thin and in their early 20's (but that's not what made them horrible), the gals barely spoke to one another. Instead, they looked at their smart phones incessantly. Then one would see something that she thought was particularly humorous ("Oh my god, Joe is too funny. Look!") and show the other one the witticism of Joe via the phone. I'm guessing it was a Facebook status update, from what I could see out of the corner of my eye ... and it wasn't even that funny, Joe.



This went on back and forth between the women for a quite a bit. In the meantime, I was diving into my waffle while discussing some hot topics with Honeybee (important stuff ... like if we should try a different dish-washing detergent, and if we think our cat is happy, things couples talk about). 

What blew me away more than the girls' sharing of phones to initiate conversation, was where the girls put their phones when they were done referencing the images on their devices: right on their dining table. Right next to their respective plates. I then looked around the little bistro and realized they weren't alone. A couple of other folks had their phones plunked down
on their dining tables as well.

What's wrong with their vibrate buttons? What's wrong with just not looking at your phone for forty minutes of brunch? What's wrong with giving your undivided attention to your brunchmate? After all, you must like them enough to eat in front of them, not to mention giving up a chunk of your hard-earned Saturday.

As much benefit of the doubt I can muster up, I'm guessing these ladies were not doctors or anyone that needed to be "on call." I just wish that they and others out there would start reconnecting with the person sitting in front of them instead of relying on their phone to do it for them. Check please!

3 comments:

  1. I understand and agree somewhat. But some of those folks might have had an emergency other than from being doctors. Some regular people are on call. I have a client that lies on her phone as I massage her. Others might have left children home with a sitter. And others are just rude. But if both brunchmates are doing it I find it's okay. But you spying on them I do not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wake up to the internet Grandpa! People are boring. The web is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your feedback. Sign of the times, I suppose. Just not sure why some people bother leaving their house if they wanted to stay encapsulated and linked-in rather than be fully committed to their dining companion? Kristen - if people are boring, who are they chatting/texting with on their phones?

    ReplyDelete