Thursday, April 14, 2011

ON THE MOVIES

I may never go to a movie theater again. I'm not being snide, and that sentence was not written in anger. I'm completely apoplectic. Detached. Not love, not hate. It simply disinterests me. 


According to the trade, movie box offices are reporting losses - the only time there's ever a spike in fact is when a another "Pirates of the Caribbean" flick swashbuckles its way into the world of dolby surround sound. Beyond Hollywood producing movies I actually want to see, beyond the three months it takes for a film to become a dvd rental, beyond the $12 price tag (and the additional $2 "courtesy" charge when purchased online) - going to the movies no longer has any appeal for me. 


I almost dished out $14 to see "Burlesque" (I'm a big gay sloppy Cher fan) - but things happen and two months went by - and poof! - it's now on dvd with, and I'm guessing, deleted scenes and songs. So, by waiting or "missing the boa," as it were, I'm getting MORE movie, for less action/money/energy. 


Where's the benefit of going? A larger screen? Your eyes will adjust accordingly in time. Besides, I can sit comfortably in my living room without the fear of bed bugs, my feet sticking to the floor, having to pee during a "good part" or having some crackhead shout things at the screen. I may sound a bit bitter about it, but I'm not, I can assure you. It's just that we've approached a precarious moment in time in which the list of pros and cons of going to a movie theater is so lopsided there just isn't really a reason to go anymore.

My suggestion to Hollywood would be to have different priced tickets for different movies. Why charge someone the same amount of money to see a dumbass comedy like "Take Me Home Tonight" as you would to see
film like  "The Fighter"?  I also think more people would be willing to "try" independent films if the prices were a bit cheaper. The only trend I'm seeing now is the quality of films going down while the price goes up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment