Saturday, April 16, 2011

"AMERICAN IDOL"


I had given up on American Idol the past few years due to the lack of quality vocalists. I just wasn't rooting for anyone anymore. The last person I ever rooted for on Americal Idol was Jordin Sparks, and that was way back in 2007. I predicted she would win from her audition episode. I held tight to that prediction throughout the competition, even during the horrific Bon Jovi Week episode.

Well, the American Idol judging panel went through a much publicized overhaul, but kept Randy Jackson (never my favorite). But this entry isn't about Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. It's not about how everyone is allegedly "amazing" - way to go, judges - or how Randy continues to refer to young women as "dude" and "man."

This is about Stefano. At press time, Stefano Langone was still a contender, and the worst contestant of the season. He's been in the bottom two consistently, and continues to survive (besting Pia and Paul, both sent home too early).


My problem with Stefano is his stage presence. Not sure what dump truck of rejected boy band members he fell out of, but every move, gesture, and facial expression Stefano displays harkens me back to a scarier time. A time filled with 98 Degrees, O-Town and ... LFO.



Stefano's face contorts to that of a person having a serious bowel movement. It all feels overblown, like he's auditioning for a Disney Cruise ship. (This is not to take away from cruise ship performers, however we can all agree that the style one would use on the stage of a cruise ship is a different animal than one for a television "concert" series.) Stefano clearly wants the people in the far rear balcony to see the expression on his face, forgetting that he's already on TV. It's very awkward to watch.


Not sure what the judges see in him, or why they gave him the "Wild Card" in the first place. Perhaps it's because of his sad sack story of how he survived a terrible car crash (the specific details of which have never been actually discussed, but we can guess from the scars Stefano showed us during his audition ... shrewd move ... that it was pretty bad).


The madness must stop. I can't sit "idol-y" by while more talented folks continue to go home. If we lose Lauren to this dramatic dipstick I'll be very upset. Dear Faithful Reader and any AI fan that just happens to be reading this, I beg of you, VOTE for your favorite - just as long as it isn't Stefano. THIS. IS. Serious.

2 comments:

  1. Stefanie also bothers me. I picked Carrie Underwood and the gray haired Guy that I can never remember his name when I want to.sorry meant to type stephano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor Hicks. He was awful. I didn't "get" him at all. I always considered him to be a Jimmy Buffet wannabe.

    ReplyDelete