Friday, April 22, 2011

ON THE SIDEWALK

Ohhhhhh Sex And The City, when you left us seven years ago, did we ever realize the mark you would leave on each and every one of us? (And no, I'm not talking about that crap sequel people can't seem to stop hating.)

SATC made every single gal in NYC think that true love (or hell, an available man) was right around the corner, despite the 4:1 ratio of single women to single men in this city. 


SATC
 also made folks think that walking side-by-side-by-side-by-side (four in a row, no less) down any sidewalk is completely acceptable.  It isn't. Sometimes, the sidewalk isn't even big enough to begin with. Also not acceptable: Walking dead-center in the sidewalk when walking solo (the way Carrie always did whenever she "couldn't help but wonder..."; or the way Charlotte did whenever she wasn't acting completely stupid).


So, I feel that I need to clarify something: When you do find yourself walking alone down a city street (New York, or elsewhere), let's try and keep things copacetic by staying to the right, shall we? Yes, I know it's very romantic and winsome to stroll leisurely down the center of the sidewalk in a major metropolis, taking in whatever vista that happens to be before you, but please think about the other 90% of world: the folks who actually have somewhere to be. 

My favorite frustration along these lines is the person who believes they can do it all, and all at once: Protruding shopping bags to the left, dog on an extended leash to the right, baby carriage in front and all the while gabbing away to someone on their phone. What are these people trying to prove? Is "now" the only time they have to run all of their errands and walk their dog? And, more importantly, why is he/she acting like "the multitasker in the plastic bubble" - completely self-contained as they take up 70% of the sidewalk?

I realize some folks often don't have much choice: single mom/single dad, I get it, but you can always scoot over to the right a
 little bit more. I also realize that I've used one ratio and two percentages in same post. Now I sound cranky and nerdy. Just stay to the right, people. Thanks. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw that show was January of 2003 when KatieDewar and I came to visit. I found it so depressing when I was single. And loved it after finding Gary. And yes, I always stay to the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My walking pet peeve is when someone is walking and smoking and I'm right behind them. When they exhale I'm breathing their gross exhaled stinky smoke breath. It makes me wild with rage EVERY SINGLE TIME.

    ReplyDelete